One Dose. Long-Lasting Pain Relief.
EXPAREL® is a single-dose, non-narcotic medication that administered during surgery by your doctor. It takes effect before the anesthesia wears off and continues to work for up to 72 hours after administration. Since prescription opioids are used the most for the first few days following surgery, EXPAREL has been shown to greatly reduce or even eliminate the need for an opioid-based medication.
Many doctors, including Dr. Heiner, offer EXPAREL as a safe way to manage post-operative pain. To learn about anesthesia and sedation options available at Oral & Facial Surgery of New Mexico, visit our Anesthesia page.
The Opioid Crisis
Pain or discomfort is expected after any surgical procedure. Many doctors write prescriptions for an opioid-based medication to help patients manage their pain after surgery. However, opioids are addictive, and it is common for their use to turn to accidental misuse and even abuse. According to the CDC, millions of Americans abuse their opioid prescriptions every year.
Side effects of opioids include:
Opioid abuse can lead to overdose and even death.
Benefits of EXPAREL
- EXPAREL allows patients to experience a comfortable recovery without using opioids.
- EXPAREL is non-narcotic, so there is no risk of dependence or withdrawal.
- Prescription pain medication after surgery is reduced or even eliminated.
- EXPAREL can provide effective pain relief for up to 72 hours after it is administered.
- A single dose of EXPAREL is all that is needed to experience its benefits.
At the Oral & Facial Surgery of New Mexico, we deliver the highest standards of patient care before, during, and after treatment. Dr. Heiner is a board-certified oral surgeon who places patient safety at the center of his practice, even after their procedure. Learn more about EXPAREL and how it can be an important part of your treatment by contacting our practice.